As technology has evolved over recent years, the value of data to business has surged. With an increasing reliance on technology in businesses, the need for resilient systems is greater than ever before.
Business data faces as many threats as it always has, especially in a world where ransomware is prevalent, as well as the more conventional threats like fire and flood, data corruption and simple user error, such as accidentally deleting data.
This is where the role of a robust backup solution is required – a piece of software in the cloud or on-premises that performs automated backups of your business data and stores it safely, in case it’s needed in the future. The rule of thumb when it comes to protecting data is the 3-2-1 rule: –
- copies of your data (one in production and two backups.)
- different platforms, for example, disc-based storage on-site and tapes or copies in the cloud.
- offsite copy, keeping a backup offsite all the time.
Datcom can help you evaluate your business’s backup requirements and provide a suitable solution to execute that strategy. Although the needs of every company are unique, some of the more common data that businesses look to protect are: –
- On-premises physical and virtualised servers, whether that’s two virtual machines or two hundred (or anywhere in-between!)
- Microsoft (Office) 365 data. Ever increasing data is held in the cloud, from Sharepoint Online to Teams, Onedrive and Exchange, it’s all there, but the responsibility to back it up still lies with the data owners (you, not Microsoft.)
- Laptops and workstations. Whether in the office or used by employees in remote locations, data not backed up is vulnerable too.
Selecting the right backup solution for your needs
Finding the right backup solution is just as important as what you choose to backup. There are a multitude of different options available, depending on many factors, such as your organisation’s internet connection, working practices, how much data you have to backup, how frequently you wish to back it up and how long you retain it for. Cloud backups are increasing in popularity due to their hands off approach, rollout of high-speed internet connections and decreasing cloud storage prices. Alternatives include tape, preferable for larger operations with bigger datasets, it has the ability to archive data for several years if needed. Other options include robust removable hard discs, that can be used to create a backup that can be taken offsite to keep safe.
As the value of any organisation’s data continues to grow, so will the need to protect that data from all the risks it may face. With a shift in the way we work and where we work, an agile strategy is needed to protect data not only today, but for the future too. Datcom can assist you with this and make recommendations based on the challenges your organisation faces in protecting one of your most valuable assets.